Municipal Election 2018
Voters in Kearney will elect a Mayor and four Councilors.
The next Term of Office is December 1, 2018 to November 14, 2022.
2018 Municipal Election Candidates – Contact Information
18 Esther Street, Box 764, Kearney, ON, P0A 1M0
Election News & Updates:
Posted: October 19, 2018
Kearney Municipal Election Day is Monday October 22nd! – The Ontario Municipal Election is Monday October 22nd! If you have not already submitted your package, please go to the Kearney Community Centre to submit your voters package. Election results will be posted Tuesday October 23rd. Please continue to monitor this page for results.
Posted: September 27, 2018
Vote-By-Mail Packages Now Out! – 2018 Vote-By-Mail has been sent out to your mailbox. Please check to ensure if you have received your Voter Package for the Municipal Election.
Posted: August 20, 2018
Meet the Candidates Municipal Election Meeting Saturday September 15, 2018 – There will be an All Candidates Meeting on Saturday September 15, 2018 from 10AM -1PM at the Kearney Community Centre.
Moderator: Jim Shaw- (705) 382-1211
Posted: July 31, 2018
Posted: July 31, 2018
Accessibility Requirements for the Municipal Election – In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and in an effort to provide an accessible election. Municipalities in the Almaguin Region therefore request you to contact your Municipal Office by August 31, 2018, if you or someone you know requires assistance when placing your vote in the 2018 Municipal Election. Click to view Details
Posted: July 27, 2018 (3:30 PM)
Nominations for the 2018 Municipal Election for Mayor and Councillor is now closed. Certifications of Nominations will take place on Monday July 30, 2018.
Posted: July 23, 2018
Nominations for the 2018 Municipal Election for Mayor and Councillor ends on Friday, July 27th @ 2 PM. If interested, please submit your nomination application at the Kearney Community Centre. Please bring two pieces of ID.
Posted: April 30, 2018
Nominations for the 2018 Municipal Election officially opens May 1st, 2018. If interested, please submit your nomination application at the Kearney Community Centre. Please bring two pieces of ID.
View the helpful resources below by clicking on links:
- So You Want to Run for Council 2018
- Municipal Finance 101
- Helpful resources from the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO)
- Exemption for 2018 Provincial Election By-Law (PDF)
- By-Law No. 2018-15: Election Campaign Signs on Public Properties and Road Allowances – Being a By-Law to regulate the Placement of Election Campaign Signs on Public Properties and Road Allowances under the Jurisdiction of the Town of Kearney.
Posted: January 29, 2018
Coming Soon! -The Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) is pleased to announce that the 2018 update to So You Want to Run for Council will be live at MunicipalEducation.ca by mid to late February, 2018. This course is geared to individuals who are planning to run for a seat on municipal council. In order to get information out to candidates we are seeking your assistance in promoting the course.
About the Course:
Current and retired members of council designed “So You Wish to Run for Council?” and it presents the challenges and opportunities candidates will face through the campaign and as sitting members of council.
The course content is valuable for anyone running for council, as it not only examines the rules that govern him or her but also brings to light some of the cultural and soft knowledge pieces that influence the lives of members of council. Course content covers:
- Reasons That You Should and Should Not Run for Council;
- What You Should Know Before You Run for Office;
- Dealing with the Media;
- Techniques for Working with Others;
- The Roles of Council Members and Staff;
- What the True Power and Influence of Municipal Government is;
- Transparency and Accountability in Government;
- and much more…
Posted: January 8, 2018
Notice is hereby given to the Municipal Electors of the Corporation of the Town of Kearney, in the District of Parry Sound, that the period during which nomination papers may be filed in the above office of the Clerk for the purpose of the Municipal Elections, commences on May 1, 2018 and will continue during normal office hours of the Clerk until the close of nominations on Friday July 27, 2018 at the hour of 2:00 PM in the afternoon.
Nominations will be received for the Offices of:
“ONE TO BE ELECTED AT LARGE”
“FOUR TO BE ELECTED AT LARGE”
How to be Nominated:
- Obtain nomination papers from the Office of the Clerk.
- Bring your completed and signed Nomination Papers to the Clerk between 9:00 am – 2:00 pm on Nomination Day, Friday July 27, 2018 or during normal office hours between Tuesday May 1, 2018 and Thursday July 26, 2018.
- The prescribed Nomination Filing Fee of $200.00 for the head of council and $100.00 for all other offices must be paid at the time of filing the Nomination (cash, certified cheque or money order is only accepted made payable to the municipality). A candidate is entitled to a refund of the filing fee, if he or she is elected, receives two percent of the votes cast for the offices or withdraws the nomination.
- A Nomination paper may be filed in person or by an agent. The Municipal Elections Act 1996, prohibits any election document to be filed by fax or email.
- After the Nomination paper is filed with the Clerk, it shall remain in the possession of the Clerk.
If a greater number of candidates than required to fill the above offices are nominated, an election will be held, Monday October 22, 2018.
DATED AT THE TOWN OF KEARNEY THIS 11th DAY OF JANUARY, 2018